Thursday, October 04, 2007

Upcoming Move

We learned today that the house we are buying appraised for a little more than it needed to. Yeah!! God just keeps moving us forward. I've been guarded in thinking about what will go where, etc. in the new house in case things don't work out. This whole house buying journey was quite the rollercoaster ride, and I've been careful about getting to attached to this one in case something goes wrong. At this point, the only thing that can go wrong is financing. Our buyer is using a reputable mortgage company and so are we. We are approved for far more than we are spending on our home, so we should be fine. If our buyer were to lose his job, that would be a deal killer. I'm pretty sure he is military, so that is unlikely. I'm pretty sure Chuck won't be losing his job either.

Today I went out looking for refrigerators and dishwashers because we need them in the new house. Virginia is offering no sales tax on energy efficient appliances purchased this weekend. So, we will for sure buy our fridge this weekend and maybe a dishwasher. Anyone out there know how to install a dishwasher from scratch? Chuck can do it, but I don't want his back to have to do it. Those types of projects are killer on his back.

I also went looking for storage cabinets for the garage. I found what I want at Walmart. I was tempted to buy it, but didn't because I wanted to wait until we learned about the appraisal. Now that the appraisal is in, I'll probably go pick up the cabinet.

So, our timeline is 2 weeks. On Wednesday, October 17th the movers come to pack our home. While I LOVE that I don't have to do this, it's a little awkward to have people in the house packing up EVERYTHING.

On October 18th they will load everything up and take it to the new house to deliver it. They do not unpack our stuff. I'm glad. I like to do that at my own pace (which is furious) and put things where I want to put them.

We don't actually close on the houses until the 19th, which will be interesting since we are scheduled to move into the new place on the 18th. It is vacant, but we haven't yet worked out getting in early with our seller. Hopefully Ed will be able to get that worked out soon. We are actually hoping to gain access at least a week earlier. We want to have the house sprayed for bugs prior to moving in and we'd like to paint before the house is full of our stuff. We'll see how it goes. Plus, I haven't given up hope that Veteran's Affairs could come up with a disibility rating before we close so that we don't have to pay the loan funding fee. So, if you'd like to join us in prayer, please pray that we can get into the house early and that Chuck gets his VA disability rating very soon. God can do these things. They are so minor. We place them in His hands.

So, that's the scoop.

3 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

It's great that someone else is doing the moving. When we moved with the military more times than I want to think about we were always suppose to let them pack everything but there were just some things I packed myself! Hope your move goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you guys. Getting a new house is so fun!
Christi

Anonymous said...

Closing on your bithday, Juli! What a great gift God is giving you. Can't wait to see your new home.
Love,
Mom