Thursday, September 06, 2007

Bigger

Chuck and I are very blessed to be a part of a church that encourages creativity. Our church uses humor, videos, movies, pop culture, games, and secular music to reach out to people far from God. Our church also uses original music, written by our worship pastor. When we first started attending Forefront Church (www.forefront.org), I hated the music. Not because it wasn't good, but because I didn't know any of it. Since then I have totally come to love it. So many of the songs have ministered to me right where I was at in the last 5 years. Yesterday morning I was listening to the song, "Bigger" and I realized that it would be fun to blog about these songs. So, maybe you'll love it or maybe you'll be like me and hate it, but either way - the lyrics are awesome and sure to touch your heart. Here are the lyrics to "Bigger." To find this CD online, go to: http://cdbaby.com/cd/forefrontworship.

Bigger
by Joe Heilman

Picture me playing my part
Picture you calling out my heart
What if this story has no point without You?
What if this story has no joy without You?

Come now, come down,
And wrap me up in bigger plans
Come by here, come near
And hold me tight with stonger hands

Picture me anywhere but here
Picture You meeting me there
What if this story got swallowed up in You?
What if this story got tangled up in You?

Come now, come down,
And wrap me up in bigger plans
Come by here, come near
And hold me tight with stonger hands

The beginning of the song kind of reminds me of where I was at just before inviting Jesus into my life. What would a life following Jesus look like? Would I turn into some dorky Christian? I didn't know. But, I was at a place where I didn't understand the meaning of it all. Why was I here? What was the point? Where was the joy?

The chorus, to me, is an invitation to God. I remember the day I sang the song as a personal invitation to God. We had recently miscarried. God was calling us to adoption. He was also calling Chuck into ministry. How could that be? We are broken people, no different from most of the world. Why would God call us? As I began to understand that it wasn't about who I am - that it's about who I am in Christ - I got to a place where I could invite God to wrap me up in bigger plans. Not grandiose plans. His plans for my life, which are definitely bigger than the plans I have.

The second stanza reminds me of my escapism. When the world around me seems overwhelming I do picture myself anywhere but here. In fact, I often picture myself on the roof of the mission in Seguin, Haiti with the sun rising, the cows mooing, and the sheep baahing. And God does meet me there. He meets me here, too. The lines about my story getting swallowed up and tangled up in God reminds me of how God meets us where we are at and completely changes our life. When I think of the drunk girl on the road to nowhere that I was 10 years ago, I know for sure that my story has gotten completely swallowed up and tangled up in God. Who I am in Christ is so far from who I was on my own. God has been so good and merciful to me. He has indeed wrapped me up in bigger plans. He does come by here and He STAYS near.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I really enjoyed about those lyrics is that not only can you apply them in a religous sense but those words can also stand for a lot relationships in life. Obviously the lyrics are relating to God but you could use so many of the same words when thinking about the relationship between parent and child, friendship, husband and wife, etc. Those lyrics are GREAT and made me think about a lot of things! Thanks for posting them :)

Juli said...

I've never thought about that, Amanda. Thanks for sharing that. Love, Juli