Friday, September 14, 2007

Obsessed

I'm having one of those nights. I ended up home tonight instead of out with people I'm usually out with on Friday night. I really thought I'd make good use of this time - you know, extra time at home to get things done or read a good book or work on a project.

Well, I did none of those things. As Chuck was walking out the door just before 8 he asked if maybe I could stay off the internet. I made no promises.

Well, nearly 3 hours later I am still on the internet. I got on it right after he left. It is an obsession that I have, brought on by adoption. I didn't even eat dinner, and I rarely miss a meal.

I might be wrong, but I think the only people who can truly understand this obsession are the people who are currently waiting for kids to come home or those who have kids home, but remember the wait. Because I don't have kids at home yet, I'm afforded these opportunities to spend way too much time on the internet.

When you are waiting for kids to come home, any info from said country, your orphanage, or blogs is priceless. To give an example of what this looks like I'll take you on a journey of mouse clicks. I first start with email. Any Cason Adoption specific information comes into my inbox, usually unexpectedly. Once in Outlook, I hit the Send/Receive tab just to be sure that I have all my emails in my inbox. I hit that tab a lot, just to make sure. Next, I go to the Yahoo Groups that I'm involved in. I don't get posts sent to my inbox because that can be overwhelming. I check each group for any new posts. Next I check blogs. I have 15 blogs I like to read, not all of which are adoption specific, but most of them are. A lot of these blogs have links to other blogs, and sometimes (not nearly all the time) I will look at other blogs through these blogs. I usually do this during times like tonight, but I've been known to stay up long past bedtime to read a gazillion blogs. I also check our blog because people can leave comments and I like to read them. I also check our orphanage's website to see if there is anything new there. I google search Haiti. Then, once I've exhausted all Haiti or adoption web surfing I turn to the local news and The Weather Channel. The Weather Channel is important this time of year because of hurricanes. Sometimes I'll check our church's website too. And since we're looking for a new home, I usually look at real estate.

Yes, I know this is obsessive. Now, take the above round of internet surfing and multiply it because I do this over and over again because hey, someone might have emailed me or posted to one of the groups or updated thier blog. It is sick. I agree.

If you are thinking I'm crazy, I don't blame you. I will tell you, though, that the main reason I do this is because I feel closer to the boys when I'm reading about Haiti or someone else's Haitian adoption journey. The other internet stuff is just mindless surfing, which keeps my mind off the fact that my kids are still not home. It is sick. It is my obesession, and maybe one day I'll stop. But until then, I'm just being real about the truth of it all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Juli,
Well, I admit it..I am an internet fanatic too. I don't belong to the Yahoo groups, but I read blog after blog and look for all the new info I can about Haiti. I totally understand where you are coming from. My screensaver is a slide show of pics of the boys, and even when I am not sitting at the computer, I watch it from the couch. So you can blame your mom for inheriting your addiction!
Of course I have to also check all my sources for my coupon shopping addiction, so you know that can add up to many hours on the 'puter daily.
I know that God has the perfect house for you, so just keep on believing!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Juli,
You are not alone in your internet obsession! The internet is the greatest when you are a bride planning a wedding on a budget! I'm seriously obsessed with finding wedding deals, ideas, and everything else. I'm also counting the days until I am married and can start a family so I also research EVERY family planning option there is. I also check your blog several times a day and my friends who are adopting from Kazakhstan and my two different email accounts, my myspace, and my knot.com page! I can't imagine if I had whole country plus children to obsess over too, I'd never be off of this thing! So, just know, you are DEFINTELY not alone in your internet addiction! LOL!

Love and happy surfing :)
Amanda

Kathy Cassel said...

I go through all the blogs of people adopting from our O that I know about. I have checked for the Sept photos four times since yesterday morning and I've looking at the waiting children list twice!

But,I recently reconnected with a friend from long ago and she went through every post on our casselcrew blog (about 75) and left a message on every one! (So I made a blog entry just of her http://casselcrew.blogspot.com).

Anonymous said...

AWWW Juli.... you are NOT CRAZY. I think most of us are in the same boat. Believe me when I tell you that I have tried to get off of it. I have fasted computer... I have prayed to break the addiction. AHHHH! I just cannot stop. Until our kids home, I guess it just will not end. Thanks for being so honest. It at least makes me feel better that I am not alone.

Lisa said...

Juli - you are definintely not alone! With the exception of house-hunting, I'm doing ALL of that on the internet. The weather and local news I don't really watch for hurricanes, unless there's one close to Haiti. But I do watch to see whether I can dress Kaylen in shorts and a t-shirt, or jeans and a sweatshirt - especially this time of year! Otherwise - EXACTLY the SAME!!! And I do some from work (probably will get called for too much internet soon), a bit when I get home from work, and then constantly after Kaylen's 8:00 bedtime! I started walking with a friend of mine a couple days a week after our kids' bedtime, so that helps. Thanks for posting. You're definitely not alone!
~Lisa

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing. You are not alone. I have the same problem. Every day my goal is to spend less computer time. So far it is not working to well.

Juli said...

Thanks, everyone. It's good to know that I'm not the only freak - I mean one! :) Chuck sometimes threatens to take the modem to work with him. He hasn't done it yet, but he will. I don't know how those of you with kids have time for this obsession. I'm hoping that when the boys come home I won't have time for it. Love you all, Juli

Leslie said...

Caught! :) Blessings to you as we all wait and hope and pray.