Thursday, March 22, 2007

Running Babies

I was an extremely underweight child. Insert joke here. Seriously, people worried about me because I was so skinny. People didn't like me to sit on their laps because my butt was boney. I remember with clarity the day my grandmother told me that lunch is a meal you eat every day. I just didn't have much of an appetite as a child and I was picky as heck, so food just didn't really appeal to me.

When I learned to walk, I weighed something like 16 lbs. My mom says that I didn't walk, I ran. And I didn't weigh enough to stop myself so I'd have to crash to stop. She says she had foam padding everywhere.

I learned a few days ago that the boys are walking and RUNNING. I can picture it at the orphanage. It's a huge building with wide hallways and a big, big yard. I can't picture it in my house. If you've been here, you know how tiny it is. You can't run for long in this house, and there's no circular non-stop path to follow, so you have to stop and turn around very often if you want to run in this house. I guess I need to thank God for our back yard, because that is where the boys will have to run.

The whole running baby thing has definitely fueled my concern for how crazy it is going to be around here. I mean, I know it will be crazy but that doesn't stop me from having these daydreams of us quietly playing on th floor (sitting!!) together.

Quiet is another part of it that I guess I need to talk about. If you were a fly on the wall in my house you'd hear... nothing for the most part. I don't listen to the radio or turn the TV on during the day. It is very quiet here. I occasionally exchange words with the cats (they talk back, well, meow back - really they do!). I guess it surprises them when I say something. Okay, I just tested it. I just said, "Where's my baby girls?" and they both meowed. Gracie actually got up and came near me and the computer. She just jumped up on the couch next to me. Boy oh boy are these cats going to have a rude awakening when the boys come home and they become regular old pets! But I digress. My house is not going to be quiet at all when the boys come home. I know this. But somehow I think it's going to surprise me.

And I'm thinking the running and the not quiet will go hand in hand. I kind of picture them running AND yelling ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Is that what it's like mom's?? That's what I'm expecting, especially after Samuel's last picture.

Okay, that's enough rambling from me for one day. Nighty night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember being a kid and running all over your grandparents house! I do believe we use to slide down the stairs on our butts! Children love running and screaming, I can vouch for this from my 8 years as a daycare teacher and my nanny experience! I agree with your mom when she said that structure is the key to sanity, kids love structure, they need it and thrive when they are in an enviornment that has a schedule and rules! I haven't been a parent but I have lots of experience with early childhood, I am a few classes away from a degree in it, so if you need any ideas or tips I'd be glad to help! XOXO...Amanda