Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Going Hungry for Haiti - Please Give

This is a photo of us with the boys' birthfater.
We still don't know if he and his older children are okay.
Noah and Samuel were 18 months old in this picture.

Since I learned of the earthquake in Haiti, I’ve wanted to do something. The question is "what?" I don’t have much money to give and I’m not a medical professional, which is who they need to come and help.

The obvious answer to what I can do is that I can pray. And I have. But, quite honestly, I’ve disappointed myself with my lack of prayer. A few hours will go by and I’ll realize that I haven’t thought of Haiti.

A friend of my sister, who really has no connection to Haiti, has decided to fast for a week, drinking water and eating bread, with the hope of raising $1000 for Haiti. I was so inspired by his idea that I’ve decided that I, too, will fast for Haiti.

Today marks a special day for our family. Four years ago today we received the referral for Noah and Samuel. They were just 10 weeks old at that time. Today they are lively 4 year olds and are such a blessing to us daily.

Beginning tomorrow, I’ve decided to fast for 8 days, drinking water and coffee and eating only bread. I decided to fast one day for each year of the boys’ lives (times 2, of course!). And, ironically, I’ve visited Haiti 8 times.

My goal as I fast is first and foremost to draw close to God in prayer for the people of Haiti. We still don’t know the fate of Noah and Samuel’s birthfather and siblings. The people who are there helping also need a tremendous amount of prayer as they help the hurting. I will also be praying that the countless orphans will be evacuated to thier waiting families. This will not be an easy fast for me. I like to eat! Plus, I feed my kids their meals and I cook dinner every night. As I struggle to not eat, I know that I will be thinking of Haiti more often and I’ll be able to pray for those there.

In addition, it’s my hope to raise money for the orphanage that Noah and Samuel lived in, Maison des Enfants de Dieu, which works stateside with For His Glory Outreach. They have over 120 children that they care for and as we move forward from this tragedy, countless new orphaned children will come through their doors. In addition to caring for orphans, For His Glory is an outreach ministry to the birth families, employees of the orphanage, and the general public surrounding the orphanage. They will have quite an opportunity to reach out to hurting Haitian people.

Finally, I also hope that through my fast, God will move in the hearts of doctors and nurses to volunteer their time on the ground in Haiti. Medical professionals are desperately needed on the ground in Haiti. People are dying senselessly because they can’t get medical care. I just watched a report by Anderson Cooper about preventable deaths – simple infections that are killing people because they just can’t get the medical care that they need.

I ask that if you give or if you or someone you know makes the decision to go and help in Haiti, please let me know. It would be such an encouragement to me as I fast. I of course ask that you pray for Haiti, for the Haitians and for the people there helping. And I ask that you send up a brief prayer for me… that I’ll be able to fast and pray for Haiti as I desire.


*Please feel free to link this post on your blog. We serve a mighty God and I'm hoping people will be inspired to give as I fast.*

1 comment:

Juli said...

Lisa, thanks for your concern... and especially for all the posts on FB getting the word out.

Coffee is necessary because I'll have horrible withdrawal headaches without it! I chose to not fast entirely from food because I have the kids to take care of. And I take vitamins, so those will help some (plus I need to put the bread in my tummy if I'm going to take my vitamins).

If I get sick, I will have to stop for the kids. I have definitely taken my daily work at home into consideration... it is not easy and I can't be worn out or sick!

Thank you for joining in prayer! That is what Haiti needs most.