Monday, January 25, 2010

Fast Update

This is an update on my fast for Haiti, and...

It's gonna be fast because the kids are eating lunch and I don't have much time.

I've done no-food fasts before and I honestly think they are easier than this bread, water, and coffee fast I'm doing. I'm hungry A LOT. The other night as I lay in bed I realized that what I was feeling is what most Haitians feel most of the time. That was humbling.

I went nearly 5 days before I broke the fast last night. I did so to celebrate Chuck's birthday. Me and our good friend Vince (who we live with currently) were both fasting and Chuck said it was a bummer to have his birthday dinner with us not eating. So, we decided to celebrate with Chuck and then return to the fast this morning. I had Chicken Enchiladas (Chuck's favorite) and German Chocolate Cake. Then we went to the movies to see "Book of Eli" and I had popcorn, soda, and cookie dough bites.

I'm back on the bread today and I've modified the drinks to anything to drink... I just don't think I'll make it until Thursday morning without more variety in the drink department.

One of the things I've been feverently praying for is for orphans in Haiti to join their US families. 82 kids from Noah and Samuel's orphanage were united with their families this weekend. It was quite an ordeal and I was thankful to be praying for them... especially Saturday night. I had a hard time sleeping because I drank coffee too late and then Tristan woke up and kept me up the remainder of the night. There was a great need for prayer that night as families waited for their kids to be released into their care, so I'm grateful for the lack of sleep and the extra prayers I got to say.

I continue to pray that we will hear good news about Noah and Samuel's birth family. We've heard nothing. And I continue to pray that people will give money and time (if they are medically specialized). As the news moves away from Haiti, I hope many people will continue to pray. There is so much work to be done and so many people injured badly who still need to be cared for.

If you'd rather donate to a ministry doing medical relief work, please email me at julicason@yahoo.com and I'll gladly share some links to good organizations on the ground in Haiti that need money.

Okay, kids are done with lunch!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Juli,
No news yet about the little Haitian girl I sponsor from Compassion International. I received a letter from CI today that told me they would inform me as soon as they find out anything. Please pray for her. Her name is Occ'ean Osenie. She is so very dear to me.
Love,
Mom