Friday, November 07, 2008

A Request...

Dear Makers of Toys That Make Noise or Music:

As a new mom, I've been introduced to many of your fine toys. Lots of them make music or have sound effects. Actually, most of them do, it seems. I plead with you to improve these toys.

Please, please put volume controls on these toys. Especially the Little Einstein book. And the Hot Rod Grave Digger crashing cars. I'm especially dissapointed in you, Hot Rod, for not putting an on and off switch on the cars.

The makers of the Bouncing Tigger have it all figured out. They put an on and off switch in a hidden place. I hope you make millions for being so parent-friendly.

Please, Toy Makers, don't make us hide the toys from the kids anymore. We feel like bad parents when we hide them.

Sincerely,

Juli Cason

6 comments:

Jodie said...

I've heard (haven't tried) that if you can take apart the speaker part, put a piece of parchment paper or something over the speaker and reassemble the toy. It should help mute the noise. But I totally agree with you!

Salzwedel Family said...

He he...good one!

TJ said...

I think it was in the book, 'There is No Me Without You', and I think I told you about the Hokey Pokey Hamster story - that cracked me up. I used to be mean and intentionally give new parents
'noise' toys; those chickens may come home to roost, I'm afraid.

Keep the toys with noise separate and use them for rewards, what do you think?

Love to all.

kayder1996 said...

Oh I am so with you! As a teacher, it drives me crazy that almost all the toys "tell" kids how to play with them. What I mean is the toy has sounds or lights so the kids naturally want to use the sounds or the lights. I don't think it encourages kids to use their imaginations as much as a toy where the kids have to figure out how to play with it on their own, where kids have to invent a way to play with it. Plus the noises are way over stimulating for both kids and parents. It devalues the idea of quiet. That said, we have had a hard time finding toys that don't make noise. Of course, most of them have shut off switches somewhere but it's the principle of the thing that irritates me. Then again, last Christmas we bought Kenson a musical intrument set...think a tom tom style drum, some maracas, a tamborine. What were we thinking?

Anonymous said...

You've got me loling like a mug!
Christi

Anonymous said...

LOL.... hope they listen to you!!