Saturday, October 25, 2008

Brain Dump

Okay, so I haven't posted much lately and there's been a lot on my mind. Unfortunately I haven't even whipped out the camera in over a week, so I don't have any pictures to post. We did have some pictures of our family taken last weekend when we were at Lake Michigan. I'm waiting for those pictures to be sent to me so that I can share them here. They are the first family pictures we've had taken other than all the pictures taken at the airport. Speaking of which, if you have any pictures of us from that night, please share them with us. We don't have any pictures from our homecoming. Here's a bullet list of what's been happening.
  • Our trip to and from MI went really well. These kids travel well. They also sleep well in other environments. I wondered if they'd be afraid to sleep in new places, but they were A-OK.
  • I'm taking an infant massage class and I'm loving it. Tristan is loving it, too. Plus, the lady who taught our childbirth classes teaches this class and I love her. We go on Tuesday nights.
  • Chuck has been really great about letting me get out in the evenings. Last night I got to hang out with my friend Nicole. It was soooo good.
  • Thank you to everyone who left comments on my diapers and wipes post. I joined BJ's last night and purchased some Luv's for the twins. I'm trying a number of different diapers out on Tristan. He has had two blowouts in the Pampers, so I'm not sure I'll be sticking with them.
  • I'm getting more and more comfortable with three kids. I'm not freaked out anymore when I'm home alone with all three. Sometimes one of them has to sit in a dirty diaper longer than I like or they have to wait for a snack. Much of the time my house is not clean. Not clean at all. But we are getting by and feeling better about it. I was seriously freaked out for a while there. I think a big part of that was just the need to get used to our new way of life around here. We are shifting into a new normal. I do miss the older, simpler days of getting up when I wanted to and going where I want when I want, but I wouldn't trade this for the world.
  • Yesterday Tristan had his 2 month check up (yeah, at 10 weeks). He was 13 lbs 14 oz and 25 inches long. He is a big boy. He got two shots and screamed louder than he ever has before and turned redder than ever before, but he calmed down soon after. I've been reading a ton about immunizations. It is really popular to not immunize, it seems. I believe there are definite risks associated with immunizations and if Tristan had health issues or was a small fry, we probably would have done things differently, but we've decided that the risk of catching some of those diseases is greater than the risk of the immunizations themselves. I'm not posting this for a debate or even a discussion - just sharing our decision on it.
  • Chuck has been sick for quite a while now. He has a chest cold that just won't go away. He went to the Dr and she didn't treat the cold, but gave him 2 of inhalers and a nasal spray and wants to see him again in a month about his chronic cough. She thinks he has asthma, even though he's been tested repeatedly. Two days ago Chuck's eyes started to itch. This morning he looked like a total stoner when he woke up. I made him go to Patient First and he has bacterial pink eye. Yeah, don't go shaking his hand! The Dr told him that his cold is pushing itself out through his eyes. Sick! When you add together the eye infection, the cold that won't go away, his constant back issues (Chuck had a lower lumbar fusion done in 2005 and has chronic pain because of it), and the plantar fasciitis that he developed during our trip to pick up the boys, it seems pretty obvious that he's under some kind of attack.
  • About a year and a half ago my Dr was concerned I might be on the verge of developing Type 2 Diabetes. Normal blood sugar tests on me always come back normal, but my A1C level was at the high end of normal. She decided to put me on a Type 2 Diabetes medication. I did that for 6 months and modified my diet for most of that time so that I was following the Diabetic Diet. When I saw the Dr in December my A1C level had come down significantly. By then I was pregnant so she turned me over to my OBGYN for care. They suggested I still take the medication, but I wasn't comfortable doing so pregnant. I was tested twice for gestational diabetes, but thankfully never developed it. Now that I'm not pregnant anymore, but still overweight, I've decided to go back to following that diet. I have not gone back on the medication, and hope that by dieting and (hopefully!) losing weight I will not need medication. By dieting I mean following the Diabetic Diet. Because I'm breastfeeding I will still consume more calories since I need to.
  • This adjustment into mommyhood hasn't been easy for me. I find myself sometimes wishing I only had a baby to take care of or that I wish I only had the twins to take care of. Either of those two scenarios would be so much easier than what we have going on here. Don't be mistaken - I want all my kids and I want them all now. Just some wishful thinking when the going gets rough around here. I just feel very tied to the house with all three of them. Going out with Chuck is a lot of work. Trying to get out on my own with all three just seems impossible. I'd love to take the boys to the park during the day, but how do I play with the boys, keep them safe, and carry the baby around? I never thought I'd want or need a triple stroller, but I'm starting to change my mind on that. I'll definitely be watching Craig's List. I have a double side by side stroller that holds Tristan's car seat and we definitely use that a bunch. I'm just now starting to see the benefit of having them all in one stroller together with no one walking.
  • I busted out the Sit and Spin's on Thursday. The boys LOVE THEM. So does Chuck. He spun so fast that he nearly puked.
  • In the mornings Chuck gets up with the twins, gets their breakfast for them, and bathes them every other day. (Yeah, I am a totally blessed woman. I am married to THE MAN!) He also usually gets them dressed. I really enjoy seeing what he dresses them in. The boys have definitely been stylin' these past few days.
  • I will have to do a post on some of the funny things the boys say in Creole. It truly is a post all in itself, but I will tell you now that ALL animals are either a Mimi or at Tutu. All winged creatures are Poo-la's. Poul is chicken. I'm not sure why they add the la. More on this in a post another day.
  • Tristan used to hate his car seat. We took the head bumper thing out and he is much happier. He is totally good with his head now. No more bobble-head baby around here.
  • Tristan and I went to a baby shower today for a little girl. I was having some serious girl-baby envy. It is no secret that we were hoping Tristan would be a girl. We had twin boys on the way. I'm so happy that Tristan is a boy, though. Seeing all those cute pink things today made me really want a baby girl. But, I don't ever want to be pregnant again. Such a dilemma!

That's pretty much all I can think of that's been happening around here. I'll try to get the Creole post up in the next few days.

3 comments:

TJ said...

Thanks for the update! I miss you all and pray that Chuck is well soon. As for both of you, I admire your fortitude.
Terri

Kathy Cassel said...

Thanks for sharing your heart.

Could the "la" on the end of chicken be "the"? "La" is "the" when used after a noun. I'm sure there are a bunch of exceptions but I only know about 20 words of creole!

Anonymous said...

Poor chuck. I laughed about him looking like a stoner. We will keep praying for him.

We vaccinate too. No worries. All of my kids have been just fine.

I really can only imagine your adjustments. We pray daily actually for all of you as you adjust. My kids pray so sweetly for you guys. Most people get one kid at a time. 3 would send ANYONE into a tizzy. But, if anyone can do it, you can. I know you well enough to know you CAN handle it. If you survived our Haiti adventure (no need to go there) and handled it like a pro... I KNOW you will handle anything that comes your way.

Last thing... put the boys in the stroller and Tristan in the Bjorn or sling. Then no one is walking.