Friday, October 24, 2008

10 Weeks

Today Tristan is 10 weeks old! I can't believe how the time has flown. He is such a joy. His little baby smile just melts my heart. And my heart breaks when I see him in pain from his reflux. I just thank God for choosing me to be his mommy.

10 weeks old has special sentiment for me because we committed to adopt the twins when they were just 10 weeks old. As I look at Tristan, I can't believe that the boys were that small when we first began their adoption. In fact, they were probably smaller since Tristan is a chunk.

10 weeks has also put a good distance between me and my horrible c-section experience. God has healed my body and continues to mend my heart. I'm not sure I'll really ever get over being in so much pain that I couldn't be excited about seeing Tristan for the first time. That still breaks my heart to think about it. Only a handful of people saw me in those first few hours and days after giving birth and they know how wrecked I was over the whole thing. In fact, our childbirth class teacher was in the hospital and saw me the day after Tristan was born. As I told her of my experience I broke down crying. I'm now taking an infant massage class with her and she has mentioned a few times what a hard time I had early on and has asked with genuine concern how I'm doing now. I rarely let my feelings show like that, so you know I was in bad shape if I was letting it all hang out like that.

The truth is that time does heal. Yes, I remember the pain, but it's not so glaring anymore. The same is true of the adoption. We had a long, harrowing, painful wait. But now that the boys are home, that pain is distant. It's still there and I pray I never forget so that I can stand alongside other adopting friends, but it is definitely a distant pain.

5 comments:

Mary said...

thanks for sharing. i look forward to the day when the pain of this wait is a thing of the past, something i remember but no longer anguish about every day!

TJ said...

As limited as my knowledge of you was and is, at that moment in the hospital when you shared your delivery story, I knew exactly how bad it had to have been. I grieve your experience. I remember sharing my 26-year-old birthing experience and knowing what that means to me, even today. Yours already means as much to you and will fade into a loving sacrifice memory and something you wouldn't change for the world. I don't know how, but those things, by God's grace, get integrated into some sort of positive growth. God is Great, and I am so grateful for each of those experiences, painful or joyful, or the best - mixed!

Kathy Cassel said...

Does it help to set T. upright for 45 minutes after he eats? Thankfully he should outgrow it in a few months but it can be hard at first. We went through it with Jasmine complicated by a cleft palate and lip. There was no lasting damage or side effect though. Hoping it passes quickly for T. and you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I miss Tristan, Samuel, and Noah. Each one of them is so different and so special. Can't wait for Christmas when I can see them all again. They are such a wonderful blessing for this grandma's eyes and heart.
All my love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Time does heal.

I cannot believe he is 10 weeks!!