Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Thoughts on Morning Sickness

Most of you know that I was pregnant before. When I got pregnant before, I wished for morning sickness so I could lose some weight. Well, I never got morning sickness and the pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 9 weeks.This time around I definitely have sickness. I don't know if I would call it "morning" sickness, though. I wake up feeling great and then about 30 minutes later I start to feel like crap. For the rest of the day pretty much. So, in my opinion, the term "morning sickness" is a lie straight from hell. It should be called something like "pregnancy sickness." Or "feel like crap most of the time sickness." Or even just plain "sickness." Using the word "morning" is quite deceiving.Now, you'd think (if you've never experienced morning sickness) that I'd be thrilled because now I can lose some weight like I dreamt about durning the first pregnancy. Not so. What I've learned about morning sickness is that it isn't so bad if you keep something in your stomach. So, in order to not feel like total crap most of the time, I have to eat something most of the time. It is a complete oxymoron, but it is true. I met a woman in September who told me she was super sick her entire pregnancy, but she gained 60 pounds. I couldn't understand that for the life of me. Now I do. God help me if I gain 60 pounds.When I tell some people of my morning sickness, they say something like, "Oh, good. I mean, it's good that you're feeling sick because that means your body is reacting to the pregnancy hormones." Yeah, I can be grateful for that, I guess. But really, ultrasounds and bloodwork can also confirm my pregnancy and out of control hormone levels.In my years of ignorance, I thought morning sickness had at least one good quality - weight loss. But now, I am here to tell you that there isn't a single good thing about morning sickness other than the idea that I will probably stay pregnant this time.Here are some anti-nausea recommendations I've been given:
Saltine Crackers - they do help
Peppermints - not so sure about these, I don't like them
Jolly Ranchers - haven't tried them yet
Potato Chips and Lemonade - weird combination that I'm afraid to try

No comments: