Friday, February 26, 2010

"No!" and other fun 18 month observations

We are at a place with Noah and Samuel that language really isn't an issue. They completely understand us (sometimes far better than we realize!) and are really good at communicating with us. We find ourselves spelling things a lot and sometimes Noah will say random letters when talking to us, I think, because he hears us do that. Samuel has been slower at language acquisition, but Noah is so extremely extroverted (for example, he prefers company while he goes potty) that he has picked up language more rapidly simply because he MUST talk. Samuel, however, has much better enunciation. Noah has more to say, but is not as easily understood as Samuel.

So now it's Tristan's turn to learn English. At 18 months he doesn't talk a lot. I mean, he talks all.the.time, just not anything we understand. At his 18 month appointment the Dr. ordered a hearing test and referred me to a local early intervention program. I'm still not sure I'll have his hearing tested... after all this is the kid that is easily awakened by noise. I'm pretty sure he hears us fine. I'm just praying about whether I want to put him through a test. Once we are settled in our new home I will definitely have the early intervention program assess him.

Anyway, Tristan is saying a few words and mimics tons of words. Currently he says Mama, NO!, banana (each syllable is it's own word), more, and milk. I'm sure I'm leaving some words out. By far, his favorite word is NO. He says it in a very clipped, quick, almost French-sounding way. And often his no means NO, but about half the time he really means yes. I have tried and tried and tried to get him to say yes or yeah or anything besides no when he means yes. Last week I was holding some Goldfish crackers while he was sitting near me in his highchair. I asked if he wanted some and he said No! while shaking his head no, but then would smile and bounce in his chair (which means yes in Tristan body language). I tried over and over, but he kept saying No.

Tristan really seems to understand everything we say to him. He helps to clean up when asked (or even if he sees his brothers doing so), he goes to his highchair if I ask him to, he brings me toys or other objects that I ask for, he recognizes the name of certain videos that he loves and he pretty much obeys our requests. That is, unless we ask him to "Come here." He will not obey that request. Ever. Especially if it involves a diaper change. And he can't be tricked or lured.

Another thing about Tristan at this age that I want to document on the ole blog... He LOVES Kuma, the dog we are living with. Kuma is a pomeranian and Tristan loves to pet him or put his face up to him (Tristan is a snuggler, so this is an endearing action for him). He is not mean to Kuma; he doesn't pull his tail or ears. He just loves him. I really think Noah's fear of Kuma has calmed dramatically by seeing his brothers love on Kuma.

Tristan has also developed a love for bread. I seriously have to hide bread at meals so that he will eat some protein and fruits and veggies first. Noah and Samuel are total carb-lovers and Tristan seems to be following in their footsteps. He's also gotten a little picky. There are some foods he absolutely won't eat... but nothing is really consistent. I think it depends on his mood. Yesterday when the boys had rice and beans I gave Tristan some turkey lunch meat (because N&S kill a box of rice and beans on their own; I need to remember to get the family size box so Tristan can have some). Today I tried to give him some turkey because I just knew he wouldn't eat mac and cheese. And go figure - he scarfed down the mac and cheese and wouldn't touch the turkey. What a kid.

Another thing Tristan has started doing is what I think is the beginning of temper tantrums. In the last few weeks, after asking Tristan to come and then I go and take his hand to walk him to where I want him, he falls to the floor. Lovely. And just in the last few days he's begun screaming loudly in short little bursts (intentionally, of course) while hitting whatever is around him - the wall, the island, the toy bin, etc. He does this when he doesn't get his way. I just know that any day now he will be throwing himself on the floor, kicking and screaming, like I did when I was his age. My mom and dad like to mention that it sounds like I have a little one that's a lot like how I was at that age. Great!!

Tristan LOVES to brush his teeth. He LOVES the movies UP and the pirate Veggies Tales movie (don't know the name!).

Another thing Tristan has started doing is running to the fridge, especially at 10 a.m. For as long as N&S have been home, they've watched Sesame Street if we are home. And when it comes on I give them their morning snack, usually cheese. Tristan has joined them and runs to the fridge when the music for Sesame Street begins. He pounds on it and whines.

There's just so much personality wrapped up into this little dude. I'm looking forward to when he does start talking because I feel like he's often frustrated that he can't tell us exactly what he wants. Maybe that's where the screaming comes in? We are so blessed by him and his adoring big brothers every.single.day. Life has been interesting these last few months, but these kids continue to thrive and create joy for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a character.

And in my opinion - there is NO need for testing or early intervention. He is right on target in my opinion. Him and Ash sound about the same. Wait until he is 2 1/2 for any kind of testing/early intervention. He sounds like he is just fine!

Kathy Cassel said...

Just on past experience, I would get the hearing test done. It's not really traumatic and usually set up for that age. Jasmine had one where if she looked the direction the noise came from, a teddy bear would light up. (And they found an immobile ear drum on the tampanagram-no clue how to spell that).

Early language and hearing interventions are usually very helpful. I didn't realize that Ty had any problems until the ped. told me he should be saying X number of words at 15 mo and he was only saying a couple.

Kate said...

Noah had to do a hearing test when he was young. It was actually much less stressful than I thought it was going to be. There was no poking or proding. They doctor put Noah is a huge sound box (like you would get into for a hearing test) but you are able to be in there with him. There were all kinds of toys and kid friendly things. Then they would sound a tone and in the corner that they sound came from there was a disney character. The way they performed the test was to see if Noah responded to the sound and if he looked in the direction. I would assume that is how they do it for most children. It is really not as bad as it sounds. :)