Thursday, February 26, 2009

Am I losing it?

There are some things I've done, said, or thought that have really made me wonder if I'm losing it. Thought I'd share some:
  • In the early days of the twins being home we watched way too much Playhouse Disney. In case you are unfamiliar with the a.m. lineup, it is hosted by two monkeys. They check the monkey mail, introduce the next show, and do some other things, too. One weekend we had the tv on and I was surprised they "worked on the weekend." In fact, for a moment I was really impressed with their "work ethic," that even though they were the front men throughout the week, they still worked the weekend.
  • I try to color coordinate Tristan's pacifier with his outfit. I really love it when it matches well.
  • I sometimes speak Creole to Tristan. Not because I want him to learn it, but more because I realize he doesn't speak English yet. It's like I'm trying to help him understand better, like I do with the twins when they aren't responding to English.
  • When I was still pregnant and we knew that the boys were coming home soon, I thought through so many variations of travel plans. Like, up to a certain point I would fly to FL, but not into Haiti. This made me wonder what I'd do if I went into labor while Chuck was in Haiti. We also thought about if Tristan was here - would I fly into Haiti? One day I had obviously been obsessing about it for too long because I was trying to figure out what I'd do if I was in FL with Tristan and went into labor while Chuck was in Haiti. Umm, yeah, I'm probably not going to go into labor if the baby is already here!
  • The other day I was giving Noah some medicine for a fever, only it wasn't Noah! I was trying to give it to Samuel. Thankfully it was only ibuprofen and I caught myself.
  • I have referred to Chuck as, "buddy" or "bud." This is something I call the kids. "Sure, buddy." "Hi, buddy." "What's up, bud?" Chuck has heard it all.
  • I sometimes answer Chuck in Creole. By accident.
  • We have a dvd player in the van. We usually only use it if we are going to be in the van for a while. If you don't turn it off when you turn the van off, it picks right back where you left off. Even if you fold the screen up, the audio still plays (and the kids know the audio and then want to watch the video). Well, one morning we went out on a quick errand and the audio popped on when I turned the van on. I assumed the screen was unfolded, so even though it was a quick trip and I wanted to listen to some worship music, I didn't want to hear the whining. So, I let them "watch" the movie. When we got to our destination I realized the screen was folded up and they were half asleep. I totally could have listened to my music!

This post really only scratches the surface. This kind of stuff happens all the time!

8 comments:

kb said...

Sounds normal to me!
:) Kristi

kayder1996 said...

Yesterday, a kid in Derek's art room was repeatedly saying Derek's name, trying to get his attention. So Derek of course told hime "Tahn!" And I have talked to the dogs in Creole many times. I also call Derek "Bub" which is what I call Kenson. You're not a totally nutjob.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Mommyhood.

Kate said...

Miss you Jili! Welcome to motherhood. I would love if you email sometime so we could talk.

Jenny said...

I do this stuff all the time too, but the work effort of the monkeys really cracked me up! One day, while I was on the cell phone sitting in a parking lot, I kept digging through my purse, looking for my cell phone so I could see what time it was. I also kept saying, to the person on the phone, that I couldn't find my cell phone. The kids were scared for me!

Terry said...

Juli I really love the new picture of your family! too sweet!

By the way, sounds like a day at my house!

Anonymous said...

Baby brain!!! Hannah's 15 months, and it's still my excuse. A mom has so many things to think about all day, every day--it's hard not to come up with some interesting stuff sometimes. Miss you guys!
Aimee

Anonymous said...

I am like this all the time and I don't have any kids...what does that mean?