Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Broken, Bruised, and Back

The last couple of weeks have been a nice break from the blog, but I've done enough thinking and praying. I'm back.

I immediately missed blogging about the kids. I realized that I count on the blog as a place I can document what the kids are doing. When Tristan figured out the Jumperoo, I wanted to blog about it. As the boys said new words and had new-found understandings, I wanted to blog about it. So, the number one purpose of this blog will be to keep track of what our kids are up to.

As I have in the past, I will probably continue to blog about other stuff, too. I have found that I like to write. Writing stuff out gets it out of the swirl that is my head. It gives me new perspective. This blog has also helped me gather a wealth of information when I've needed answers. You all have helped me with a bunch of questions and I so appreciate that I can put a question out there and get some responses.

I want to make it clear, though, that if you read my blog you are only getting a small taste of our life here. I don't put everything on the blog. To know me is not to read my blog. And for me to know you is not to read a 12 word comment that you've left for me. I have examined why I read the blogs of others. I have found that the blogs I like to read are of people that I really do care about. It may have started out as an interest in their lives (most are somehow connected to Haiti or adoption), but the blogs I continue to read are of people for whom I have developed a true concern.

If you've been reading for any length of time, you've figured out that I'm a broken person receiving grace from a very loving God. I mess up all the time. I'm not the best wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, or friend, and most of the time I'm not even good at being these things. I've hurt people and some of those relationships seem to be unrepairable. My past is sketchy. In fact, today marks ten years since I was arrested for drunk driving. BUT, and it's a big but, today I have God in my life. And He was always there but I didn't always know it. And then for a while I knew it but chose not to accept the grace offered. Today I am fully aware of my constant need of His grace and presence in my life.

The last 6 months have been something else. For some of us there is such an adjustment to parenthood. For others it seems to happen so naturally. It was a huge adjustment for me; times three. People have had many things to say about how God brought our kids all at once. I think the thing I appreciate most is when people say, "I can't imagine." And they are right. You can't. I have a hard time imagining it and I'm living it. Most people have been so full of grace for us as we navigate this new territory and I'm so grateful for that. But some people have been kind of heartless about it all. A few people have told Chuck that perhaps God is punishing us. Ummm, if God says anything about children, it's that He loves them dearly and that they are a blessing. I don't think He'd swarm us with kids to punish us. Locusts, yes. Kids, no. I can be really hard on myself and think, "Gosh Juli, all kinds of people have three or more little kids. Why is this so hard for you?" And I'm pretty sure some other people have thought that, too. But, the reality is that most people don't go from a very freedom filled life with no children to three little children that make it just about impossible to go anywhere. So, to deal with this whole new life and new level of dying to self while being judged by some has sucked. Sorry, there's just not a nicer word to describe that. And perhaps the hardest thing to deal with in all of this is the abandonment we've experienced by some people. We couldn't bring people into our world early on with the twins. We tried to communicate that well. But we lost some people in that. And it hurts.

So, to wrap things up, I'm back. This blog is more for me than anyone else. If no one ever reads it again, it would be okay. If you want to know me, not virtual Juli, I'd love to hear from you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are back. I will see you Thursday! I love you!!

kayder1996 said...

Yep, yep and yep. I found myself shaking my head in agreement with your writing. Blogs need a purpose; otherwise they're just like a clanging gong per the Biblical reference to that. And people who know you in person shouldn't let your blog take the place of an actual relationship. And we shouldn't be reading people's blogs because of the gossipy, nosy social aspect. And I love what you said about the way blog comments fool us into thinking we really know someone, that we really have a relationship with someone. (Sometimes we do but not always.) I feel the same way about leaving comments like "praying for you." Unless I am really going to stop what I am doing and pray for that person, then I shouldn't put that. Nor should I put things like "I will continue to pray for you." if I don't really intend to add that person to my prayer list.

As for the instant family deal, sometimes people have no idea of what the implications are of what they say. I myself am often guilty of saying something just to hear myself talk and then realizing how that must have sounded to the person I was talking to. (I once told a friend that her boy's new haircut looked like a Nazi concentration camp 'do. That was well over a year ago and I still feel badly that I had to say something so stupid.)

We know the feelings that go with being married/together for quite a while and then instantly having kids. It's hard to adjust to a new pace of life, to having less time for each other, to focusing your schedules on your kids. (And for me, I had to come to terms with missing my husband and his company; we have spent almost ten years doing everything together. Having kids changes that a bit.) For us, we had a foster placement that ended up being a real eye opener in that avenue. It helped us know how we might feel when Kenson came home. (Thankfully, we haven't relived too many of the negative feelings.) I can't imagine it with 3. The thought of Conleigh coming home is overwhelming if I stop to think about it. Anyway, I've said too much already. Glad you're back up and running.

Kathy Cassel said...

Bless you Juli!

TJ said...

Love you and anxious to see you all again soon. No news yet here.
Terri

Anonymous said...

I love you. I love your honesty.

I vividly remember becoming a new mom. I got ONE child and it was ROUGH. So, NO I really can't imagine it!! You have handled it so well. And anyone who sees your life as anything less than blessed is a fool. That still doesn't mean it is easy. Blessings do not equal easy.... that is what is wrong with Americanized Christianity. We think all the easy stuff is the blessing. I have found the blessings are in the REALLY hard things... marriage.... children... relationships.... they are all messy and a HUGE blessing at the same time.