Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Makes Me Think

Yesterday I had someone out to fix my fridge. The water spigot on the door was misplaced and water kind of sprayed everywhere when we would try to get water. It was an easy fix and was free since we had bought a warranty.

The guy who came out to fix my fridge called early in the morning. I missed the call because I was changing a disgusting diaper. He left a message telling me that he'd be by between 10 and 12, which narrowed down the original timefram of 8-12. When I listened to the message, it was pretty obvious that this guy was not the least bit excited about coming to my house.

I later (after the guy was gone) learned that he also called Chuck. The guy was pretty rude about needing to see our original receipt, which Chuck assured him was on the fridge waiting for him. Chuck also got the impression that the guy wasn't excited about coming to our home and was maybe hoping we didn't have the needed receipt so he wouldn't have to come over.

When the guy got here he was super polite and professional. He was interested in learning from where Noah and Samuel had been adopted. He asked if we were planning to go to the Winter Jam, which is a local Christian concert that benefits adoptions. He also shared with me that he and his wife sponsor a child in Mongolia.

I was able to deduce that this man was a Christian by the "Christian" things he spoke of. And I think he spoke of them because he figured out I was a Christian. I was not able to tell he was a Christian based on how he treated me and Chuck on the phone, though. I'm not sharing this to judge the guy because I do the same thing.

How often am I short or clipped with someone and then my tune changes when I learn they are a Christian? Or, worse, how often have I been short or clipped or just plain rude to someone and then they figure out that I'm a Christian. Not good. Not good at all. I'm thankful that I had this experience yesterday because it really made me take a look at myself and what I do.

1 comment:

TJ said...

I love the way people treat an obviously pregnant woman. I sometimes try to think about how I would treat such a woman and treat the person in front of me that way (male or female). A little sugar goes such a long way, eh?
Terri