Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pregnant Hair, Maternity Clothes, and Sleep

I've read in some of my pregnancy books that your hair can take a beating while pregnant. That has not been the case for me. Yeah!! In fact, my hair is growing faster than ever (thank you expensive prenatal pills!), it has wonderful body, and get this - it no longer requires daily washing. Yes, you read that right. In my non-pregnant life I totally have to wash my hair every single day because of how oily it gets. I can go two full days now - yes, 48 OR MORE hours. I can't tell you how exciting that is after having washed it daily for nearly all my life.In other news... I've finally moved into maternity clothing. Shirts have become necessary, and it's not because of my belly. It is straight up scary to think that my chest will grow even more. God, help me! I can still wear some of my pants, but maternity pants are much more comfortable. I spent a small fortune at Motherhood Maternity on pants and a new bra. Finding petite pants in thrift shops is a challenge. Last week I hit the jackpot at Target and got three shirts on clearance. I guess they are trying to get rid of the long sleeved stuff since all the summer clothing is coming in. Unfortunately, Target doesn't sell petite length pants so I can really only buy tops and dresses there. I think after a few more trips to the thrift store and I'll be feeling like I have enough clothes to wear. At home sweatpants are my favorite thing to wear!Finally I'll mention sleep. If you know me, you know that I am a champion sleeper. I can sleep anywhere, anytime. Well, lately I've been having rough nights. There have been a few times where I've woken up and just could not fall back asleep. My mind wasn't racing or anything. I just couldn't sleep. That makes me angry! I've also been struggling to get and stay comfortable. I'm usually a stomach and side sleeper. I move around a lot, so I need a few positions to juggle throughout the night. Well, with tummy sleeping out I now can only sleep on my side. It is recommended that pregnant women sleep on their left side. That doesn't leave me much choice when I'm ready to move in the night. So, I've shifting from my left side to my right side and back again, and back again... You get the picture. This usually wakes me up and also wakes up Daddy Bear. Daddy Bear has always suffered with light sleeping and a hard time getting to sleep. So, when I wake him up in the middle of the night because I'm moving, I'm really hurting his sleep. Now add in at least two or three bathroom trips in the middle of the night and you'll see that the champion sleeper is not doing so well. And she's waking up her husband! Not good! And I'm told that this will only get worse, not better. And here's my favorite line, "It's preparing you for when the baby comes." Yeah, isn't that sweet. I'm about to become sleep deprived and rather than get plenty of rest before that happens I'm going to go into it sleep deprived. Whatever. If I was in charge it's not how I'd do it!Okay, that's a lot of random pregnant stuff. My next doctor's appointment is Friday, so I'll post again after that appointment.

No comments: