Wednesday, July 01, 2009

It's All Him

Yesterday morning Chuck and I took the twins to be assessed by our school district to see if they qualify for any special services. We didn't have any serious concerns; the boys are very smart. But, given that they spent 32 months in an institution, we wanted to make sure that we didn't miss any opportunities that they may be eligible for.

We were really impressed by the two ladies who assessed the boys. They obviously love their work and children. They just got down on the boys' level and played with them. We learned a lot in general, and in particular we learned a lot about some of Samuel's behaviors. The nurse used the phrase, "low tolerance for frustration" to describe some of what we are dealing with. So true! (In fact, I think I have that too.) He also has some sensory issues that we will keep our eye on - nothing serious, but definitely there.

They were just so impressed with the boys. In terms of size, they are slender, but tall. They believe the boys were probably premature (as have we... most twin pregnancies don't go 40 weeks in this country, let alone a third world country). They were amazed by their language. We have been concerned about language, but they had no concerns. They are articulating well. They know a tremendous amount of words, especially when you take into consideration that they've only been exposed to English for 10 months. There are absolutely no cognitive concerns. When shown a skill, the boys picked it up quickly.

I really thought we'd be referred to a preschool program. There are programs available... but thankfully our boys don't qualify. They are not behind! And all I can say is that God is so good. I can't take any credit. There is so much more I could have been doing with them, and yet still they are on target. At only 10 months home. It's all Him. I've had lots of situations in life where I could say that God was at work, but so was I. This is so clearly His work. And I'm SO thankful for it.

7 comments:

TJ said...

I thought I was biased because I just love those boys so much, but I could have told you they were brilliant - I'm glad you had the "professional" opinion to confirm what we all already knew. I know it's God, but you guys have done an awesome job too!
Auntie Terri

Anonymous said...

Good News!! They're cute and SMART!!

Christi

kb said...

So good to hear!

kayder1996 said...

I really think Kenson has a very low frustration threshold too. Between instutional care that probably didn't encourage a lot of positive problem solving, to lack of experiences, to lack of language, he easily cries and gets mad. A bit of emotional immaturity in that aspect. I'm glad to hear the boys are doing so well.

Kathy Cassel said...

Woo hoo!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's my grandbabies! I am so very proud of them. You and Chuck have done a wonderful job. God works through people, and He sure chose the best parents for all my wonderful grandchildren.

All my love,
Mom

Katy said...

That is just awesome!! You are obviously doing a fantastic job with them as parents. That is also an encouragement to me still waiting for mine to come home from the same O. Hopefully as Samuel's language continues to increase, his frustration level will decrease. If he continues to have any trouble with anger, you may want to consider some short-term play therapy to work on coping skills for anger if your insurance covers it. (I am a therapist who works with children, some as young as 3, so of course I'm biased=)