Friday, May 18, 2007

9 Days!

Well, it is 9 days until we will be in Haiti with our boys. I began packing yesterday. So far I have 20 lbs of formula packed and this Sunday I should receive more both at church and from an adoption ministry group that we belong to.

I'm a little worried about packing because I'm afraid that I want to bring FAR more than I can. I even bought plastic bins to pack in because they weigh less than suitcases. Please pray with me that God works out all the packing so that I can bring everything we need. We'll be in Haiti for 12 days, so I need a lot of stuff.

I also need to ask for prayers for my right thumb. Last year when we went to Haiti to meet our boys I got a really nasty, weird infection in my right thumb 10 days before traveling. Out of nowhere an abcess formed at the base of my nail bed. Thankfully it cleared up in time to travel to Haiti. Well, last week I got the SAME infection in the SAME thumb. This time I had 16 days before Haiti. Which is more than enough time for an antibiotic to work, right? I'm not so sure. I did surgery and broke the skin on the abcess and removed it so now I have this gross, painful open wound on my thumb. Before you yell at me I must remind you that the skin was dead and needed to come off. Since I am a control freak I decided to do surgery instead of having a Dr. do it for me. When I was 12 I successfully removed two warts from my feet, so I'm kind of good at self surgery. Anyway, I'm digressing. The problem is not only the open wound. I still have pain throughout my thumb, including my joint at my hand. I'm not convinced that 7 days of antibiotics have made much difference. I finish them up on Sunday, so if I'm still in the same shape I will go back to the Dr. on Monday; hopefully for some IV antibiotics. Anyway, long story short, please pray that my thumb gets better. It would be unwise to travel to Haiti with this.

The first group from our mission team begins to travel this Sunday. They will arrive in Haiti Monday afternoon. If you'd like to pray for our group, please send me an email at ittybitties@msn.com. We have an hourly prayer calendar that spans 5/20 - 6/8. If you'd like to sign up for any hour time slots, just email me the dates and times you'd like to pray for our team. There are currently over 100 people traveling to Haiti on our team within that range of dates. Chuck and I fly to Miami on the 26th and arrive in Haiti on the 27th.

That's all for now.

No comments: