Monday, September 07, 2009

A Prayer

As we prepare to move to MI, and with how not well things are going with that, I often wonder if we are on the right path. Did we hear God correctly? Are we doing the right thing? If so, why hasn't our house sold? Why hasn't funding for the church plant been solidified? Why has our biggest supporter so far backed out? Why, why, why?

But really, it's not my place to ask why. In fact, when I tell my kids to do something and they ask, "Why" I am disturbed that they didn't just obey. I wonder if that's how God is feeling with me right now.

So, we continue to move forward, doing what we can, to start the church in Michigan.

And God seems to know exactly when I'm in need of encouragement. Tonight I ran across this prayer that I wrote on October 30th of last year:

Chuck keeps talking about starting a church in MI. Actually, he keeps talking about how broken his heart is for Southeast MI and last night he talked about planting a church there. So, right now I submit this to You, Lord. I really DO NOT want to go back to MI, but if that's Your plan I submit to it and ask You to make it very clear. Amen.

Tonight as I read that prayer and thought about whether God has made it clear, I could honestly say that He has. It hasn't been happy-clear. If I was making it clear I'd make it all happy and exciting type clarity. That's not what our clarity has looked like. For us, making it clear means that we have had many painful experiences over the last year that tell us our time here is coming to a close. We've experienced some hard stuff, but God has been faithful in my request to make it clear and for that I am grateful. And I'm so grateful that I wrote that prayer down because it encouraged me today.

2 comments:

kayder1996 said...

So often we assume that if God truly called us, then all will go well, that the ease of the road indicates how in tune we are with God's will. I know you know that is not true but consider this another reminder.

I personally think a lot of people, myself included, get very concerned with the question "am I doing what God wants?" It's a great question to ask but when we are consumed by that question, it often freezes us in fear because we are worried about making a mistake or misstep. The question, while good intentioned, becomes paralyzing. I don't know if you've read In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson, but I highly recommend it. Chuck would enjoy it too. The subtitle is something about how to thrive when opportunity roars. In fact, the author has planted two churches, one of which failed. But the author really believes even that failed plant was used by God. It's a great read and so encouraging regarding taking risks for God. It kind of goes against what our culture tells us about God's will.

TJ said...

I'm pretty self-absorbed right now, but not too self-absorbed to pray for you. I think this is like adoption - Satan hates it; and he will put all obstacles in the way - You KNOW that this is within God's will - there's no question - look at every obstacle as an opportunity to glorify God with your perseverence.

Love you,
Terri