Sunday, September 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Noah and Samuel??

Noah and Samuel on their third birthday.
'
Yesterday was an eventful day. We had two birthday parties to attend, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon. The boys have become very interested in birthdays over the last few months and after watching Tristan celebrate his 1st birthday, they really want it to be their birthday, too.
'
Last year when they turned three they had only been home for nine weeks and didn't understand what was going on on their birthday. We chose not to have a party because it would have been way to overwhelming for them. We had a quiet celebration at home, instead.
'
In addition to the normal birthday excitement, Grandma has promised the boys bikes for their birthdays... but there is a condition. They need to put ALL their peepee and poopoo in the toilet. They are at about 98% with that. I'm certain they will get the bikes!
'
Lately, out of the blue, the boys will say any of the following: "I need cake." Cake to them means birthday. Noah especially says this and he says it totally out of the blue. Whenever they see a lit candle at someone's house (I don't burn candles at home... way too scared one of the boys will get burned...) they begin to sing "Happy Birthday." They equate any type of lit candle with birthdays. I think that is hilarious! "Happy Birthday, Noah and Samuel??" They ask this question a lot. They are checking in to see if it is their turn yet. Somedays they just wake up thinking about their birthday. And they ask about it at bedtime, too. It didn't help that the other day Sesame Street had a birthday themed show!
'
I find it all very endearing. Yes, they want cake and presents and to be the center of attention... but they spent their first two birthdays in an orphanage (I did get to be with them on their first birthday, though) and came home with no comprehension of what a birthday was. Last year was just sad because they were so uninterested in the cake, balloons, etc. This year they are WAY excited and that makes me happy. They are being "regular little boys," and that does this mommy's heart well.
'
Yesterday at the a.m. birthday, their friend Brodie turned three. Most of his gifts were "Cars" related. The boys LOVE Cars. Samuel played while Brodie was opening presents, but Noah sat with me for a good portion of it and watched. And every few minutes he would turn to me and say, "I want Noah and Samuel birthday, too!" He wasn't bratty or whiny... just really wanting it to be his turn. We talked about how it was Brodie's turn and how one day soon it would be Noah and Samuel's turn.
'
The late afternoon birthday was for their friend down the street, Jaime. He also turned three. His party theme was Spiderman (who the boys love and called Ty-man when they first came home), but many of his gifts were Cars related. After he opened presents he invited all his friends to play with his new toys and Noah and Samuel were way excited to do that. Again, both boys expressed their desire for it to be "Noah and Samuel's birthday, too."
'
Tonight Chuck and I talked about what we will do for their birthday. We are going to be in MI toward the end of October, which is not too far from their birthday (11/09). We will probably do some kind of celebration with our family there. We were thinking of not doing a party here, but after watching them really enjoy being at other birthday parties, I want to give them the opportunity to be celebrated among their peers. So, now the big thought in my mind is what to do for their birthday. I'm totally hoping that our house is sold before their birthday, but then I also would love to have one last party here. Ah, what to do, what to do?? That's what I'll be thinking about for the next few days.
'
And I'm sure I won't forget to think about it since I'm sure they will be asking about their birthday! :)

6 comments:

Jodie said...

Too cute!!

kayder1996 said...

Here's my opinion if your house sells: have an early birthday party in Virginia. You'll probably be inviting just close friends who will understand your desire to have one with them. It's your party and you should get to do what you want!!!! And two parties, one early and one closer to the date, won't hurt them a bit. We did a small shindig with Derek's grandma about 2 weeks before and Kenson had no problems. I mean what 3 year old wouldn't want cake, ice cream, and candles twice!

Anonymous said...

Sooo sweet. Gosh, I just love the heck outta them. After a post like this how do I not spoil the crap outta them on their birthday?!?! I vote for a Cars party while you're here. I can't wait!

Christi

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for their B-day party!!! (The one in MI)

Love,
Grandma

Anonymous said...

I love how kids dont have a sense of time yet. When Lila was around 3 she would wish me a Merry Christmas every night for almost a year. I really loved it. Im so glad you guys have this blog as a keepsake to remember all of the little milestones and moments. It will be fun for the kids to read when they get older too!

The Deej

Anonymous said...

They are just so adorable.