Friday, May 29, 2009

I'm "Twisted"

Chuck would agree with that statement, though not for the reason I'm about to share!

I have had a tremendous amount of pain in my right hip since before Tristan was born. Last year Memorial Day weekend marked when the "miserable pregnant" feeling set in for me. Something shifted... or I grew... whatever happened I began to have sciatica on my right side. By the end of my pregnancy every.single.step hurt. My mom was here and wanted to go out and about shopping and I just couldn't do it because it hurt too much to walk around. One night at Walmart I broke down and drove one of the wheelchair carts (which was dangerous because I am not a good driver!).

I really thought all that pain would go away as soon as I had the baby. (I also thought all my swelling would instantly go away, but that's another story.) It didn't. I've had a lot of pain in my right hip. I've even seen my primary care doctor about it and she threatened me with physical therapy. She knows I don't have time for that!

We may have fantastic insurance, but it doesn't cover chiropractic care. So, even though I've known I need to see a chiropractor, I've drug my feet because I'm cheap. But I finally broke down and went today. X-rays were taken and things don't look so good in my lower back and pelvis. It seems I'm pretty twisted to the right. I had to turn my head a little to the side to look at the x-rays - that's how bad it looked. I cautiously asked the doctor, "Can you fix it?" And he seems confident that he can get me straightened out (too bad it'll only be my back and pelvis, huh!).

So I had my first adjustment. I'm not sure if I feel any better. We'll see. I'm just so grateful I'm finally taking care of this (though my wallet is not).

So yes, I am indeed twisted. But not in the way Chuck thinks!

4 comments:

TJ said...

I hope it helps - I've had 24 visits now with my chiropractor for low back pain - I've only had 3non-force adjustments total (?) and they say things look good, but I still have good days and bad! I do much better if I do NO standing or exercise, hmmmm.....I think that's why I went in the first place.
Your Twisted Sister,
Terri

Sam and Mandy Majszak said...

I can totally relate to hip pain Juli! I've got pins in my right hip and also have days where every step hurts. It probably doesn't help that I'm in desperate need of some quality time with a treadmill! Keep me posted on your progress, I might try the chiropractor if it helps!

Nicole said...

I have known you were twisted for a long time. And you had to pay a doc for that??? Haha!

Ann said...

I swear by adjustments, insurance or not, getting adjusted just like getting your teeth cleaned! the trick is to stay on ice before the apts and AFTER the apts every so many hours, it will help the adjustment set much better. Hope you feel relief soon. K