Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sorrow

Our adoption journey has been a long, winding journey that has spanned 3 years. In May of 2005 God spoke to Chuck and I about adoption. Shortly after we opened our hearts to that idea, we were told of a baby that had been born at a mission in Haiti who needed a family. Chuck and I of course didn't think much of it at the time, but that all changed a few months later.

In July I went to Haiti, specifically to that mission. Three months earlier we had gone through a miscarriage and my heart still hurt deeply. While I was in Haiti I met baby Jabez and God used him to minister to my broken heart and to speak clearly to me about adopting from Haiti. I came home from Haiti knowing that we were to adopt from Haiti and that the time was now.

We waited to find out what would happen to baby Jabez. We needed to wait for him to be placed in an orphanage so that we could align ourselves with that orphanage. To make a long story short, Jabez was never placed in an orphanage that would adopt out children to the US and eventually the missionaries who were present from the day of his birth decided that they would pursue adopting him.

We were sad, but also happy that all along he'd been with the people who would be adopting him. The day after the Lord closed the door on Jabez for us, we received the referral for the twins.

I have kept contact with Jabez's parents, who serve in Jacmel, Haiti. I have watched him grow up in pictures and videos. He has a very special place in my heart. God brought me such healing through him during a very hard time and he is what led us to our beautiful sons.

Jabez's path has not been easy. The circumstances surrounding his birth were tough and left him with some special needs. He has struggled with illness repeatedly.

This afternoon I went to the blog that his parents, Danny and Leann, keep and learned that Jabez passed away this morning. I'm shocked and sad. I'm also so happy that he is now with Jesus and no longer has special needs or health problems.

Please lift up Danny and Leann, as well as all the kids and staff at the children's home that they run. Jabez was a very special part of their lives and I can't imagine their grief right now.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just talking about him at lunch today. I'm so sad, but I know he's perfectly healthy and happy in heaven with Jesus and hopefully his bio mom who died giving birth to him.

They are so precious and so just on loan to us...

I know how much his short journey here on earth affected all of us who had the opportunity to "know" him - it's amazing.

Love,
Terri

Katy said...

This is just heartbreaking. Holding this family in prayer.

Anonymous said...

My dear dear daughter,
I know how much you loved Jabez, and I grieve for you as well as for his parents.
This has to be a very difficult time for you.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Juli. I cannot believe this happened. I remember you telling me about him. Please know I am praying for you and Chuck and this family.

Anonymous said...

Oh man...I can't believe it. I still think about that lil guy every so often.
I'll be praying for his family for sure.

Christi

Laura Lu said...

oh my, juli. i'm so sorry. praying for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by googleing Jabez+Haiti. isn't is awsome that one small, disabled,Haitian orphan could turn up SO many times on the internet with just those two words. He spoke no words but spoke volumes. As i write this my grandson who was adopted from Haiti sleeps upstairs. He came to stay with us so his parents could go down to Haiti to support and care for The Pye's. It is such a sad thing- but what a beautiful thing! How awesome it is that God chooses the small and the helpless to show his love and mercy to the world.
I know this makes you ache for the homecoming of your children even more. I know it feels like it will never happen...it is so hard to wait! But it is so worth it! I pray that soon you will have your little guys with you.

Kathy Cassel said...

How sad.

Juli said...

Thank you, everyone for praying for Jabez's family. Please keep lifting them up.

A special thank you to nanajobx. Your comment has really made me think about our ability to make an impact in this world without ever knowing it just by being Jesus to others. Jabez certainly did.